The hot hatch has earned 22 awards since going on sale last year, most recently being named a 2014 Automobile Magazine All-Star (www.automobilemag.com/2014allstars).
“High-technology hot rods like Fiesta ST have helped make fast driving possible for buyers of small cars – even those with modest budgets,” said Jean Jennings, editor-in-chief, Automobile Magazine. “It’s a bullet on the road, with a turbocharged four-cylinder engine that sounds like a mini-Ferrari when flogged, supportive Recaro seats and clean shift action. Designed and engineered collaboratively by Ford’s U.S. and European operations, Fiesta ST is a testament to the success of the One Ford global vehicle development philosophy.”
Amy Marentic, Ford marketing manager, global small and medium cars, said there’s really nothing else on the market quite like Fiesta ST. “It’s fun to drive, full of high-tech features and packaged at an affordable price,” she said. “It’s no wonder Fiesta ST is not only winning awards, but that the honors range in scope from performance to value and everything in between.”
Fiesta ST is the most-awarded performance subcompact Ford has ever made. The car has earned these awards:
- Automobile Magazine, 2014 All-Star
- Top Gear (U.K.), Car of the Year
- Echappement (France), Sports Car of the Year
- Auto Express (U.K.), Best Hot Hatch
- Scottish Car of the Year, Best Hot Hatch
- Car (Spain), Top 11 Sports Cars
- Sunday Times (U.K.), No. 1 Hot Hatch
- Autocar (U.K.), Best Value Driver’s Car
- Car and Driver, 10 Best
- Gear Patrol, GP100 Top Gear
- Popular Mechanics, 2014 Automotive Excellence Award for Handling
- Esquire Magazine, Small Car of the Year
- Culture Map – Houston, Hot Compact of the Year
- Autobytel, 2014 Compact Car of the Year
- MotorWeek, Drivers’ Choice Award for Best Subcompact Car
- Hagerty, 2014 Hagerty Hot List
- About.com, Best New Cars of 2014
- China Auto Pictorial, Performance Car of the Year
- Top Gear (China), Best Performance Car in 2013
- National Business Review, Sports Car of the Year 2013
- U.K. Car of the Year, Best Performance Car
- kbb.com, 10 Coolest New Cars Under $25,000 of 2014
Team members behind Fiesta ST and other Ford vehicles are notable on their own terms. Ford won Dynamics Team of the Year, while Team RS lead for vehicle dynamics David Put was named 2013 Dynamicist of the Year by Vehicle Dynamics International.
This jury of automotive journalists from around the world hailed the work of members of the Ford team as a “stand-out in all segments.”
“If you have not driven a new Ford in the last year, go do so now,” said Phil Morse, judging for Vehicle Dynamics International. “The vehicle dynamicists have apparently been turned loose and allowed to run amok, resulting in cars that are subtle, responsive, and an absolute pleasure to drive.”
Along with all the accolades it is collecting, Fiesta ST is winning the attention of customers Ford had hoped would find the hot hatch an appealing option. Some facts about buyers of Fiesta ST:
- 50 percent are under 35 years old, compared to 23 percent of Ford brand customers
- Average age is 39, 10 years younger than Ford brand customers
- 54 percent have at least a bachelor’s degree, compared to 50 percent of base Fiesta buyers
- 30 percent have a household income of at least $100,000, compared to 26 percent of base Fiesta buyers
- 30 percent live in California
This is a demographic that’s considered a difficult target for automakers.
“Common knowledge had it that this group didn’t care about driving, or if they did, they opted for import brands,” said Marentic. “But the feedback we’re getting from customers and the awards Fiesta ST keeps winning prove again and again we really accomplished something special.”
Customer feedback shows Fiesta ST drivers take their car to the track to run, but they also use it as a daily driver. The car is designed to be fun, but it rewards drivers with exceptional fuel economy – Fiesta ST returns an EPA-estimated 35 mpg on the highway.
Another perk of purchasing Fiesta ST is that owners are offered the chance to learn firsthand the capabilities of their performance car at Ford’s ST Octane Academy, a complimentary program for drivers of the new hatchback, as well as owners of 2013 and 2014 Ford Focus ST.
ST Octane Academy provides Fiesta ST and Focus ST owners with a full immersion into the Ford ST experience, along with driving instruction and extensive course time with professional instructors. The intent is to demonstrate to owners the performance capabilities of their car and help improve their driving skills – all while having fun.